Drug and Device Litigation – Trials
Formidable advocates for our clients
Butler Snow’s drug and device team includes a number of highly capable first-chair trial attorneys with experience trying cases in some of the most notoriously plaintiff-friendly jurisdictions across the country. We know how to manage large-scale litigation as national counsel while simultaneously trying and preparing working up multiple other cases for trial – ensuring that our clients receive the most efficient and effective defense possible.
While we are called upon to “parachute in” to handle trials from time to time, we serve as lead or co-lead trial counsel in many of the cases we defend as national counsel. Due to our leadership role in the overall litigation, we are well-positioned to defend each case from the beginning consistent with our client’s overall trial strategy and themes.
From 2014-2018, our drug and device litigators tried more than 30 pharmaceutical, medical device and healthcare cases. Our verdicts have been profiled by The American Lawyer, Law360 and CVN, among others. As one example, Orlando R. Richmond, Sr. was featured for a defense verdict in the second bellwether Pradaxa® trial in Connecticut in AmLaw Litigation Daily’s “Litigators of the Week: A Compassionate—But Effective—Product Liability Defense,” May 11, 2018.
One of the keys to our success as trial lawyers is our firm’s collaborative environment – a culture based on trust, support and communication and not competition – that enables each member of our team to excel. We have several accomplished women and minority trial attorneys who regularly lead trial teams in complex, high-stakes pharmaceutical and medical device cases.
We invest significant amounts of time in mentoring and developing the next generation of star trial attorneys, and often include younger attorneys as key members of the overall trial team. This benefits both our firm and our clients because we have a deep bench of experienced litigators with boots-on-the-ground trial experience from which we can draw upon to effectively staff cases.
Our team includes experienced paralegals who routinely accompany our attorneys to trial and serve as core members of the trial team. We also rely upon the expertise of our firm’s nurse consultants and graphics specialists to present a cohesive and compelling case at trial.
Our firm is home to nine Fellows of the American College of Trial Lawyers and five Fellows of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, both of which are prestigious, invitation-only groups of trial lawyers with proven track records. We have team members who are included in Benchmark Litigation’s 2021 Top 100 Trial Attorneys, Chambers USA’s 2018 nationwide Leading Trial Lawyers, and Law360’s 2016 Trial Pros. Our team also includes members of the Trial Lawyers of America and faculty of the International Association of Defense Counsel’s Trial Academy and American Board of Trial Advocates’ Masters in Trial Program.
Our clients and peers had this to say about our trial experience:
The Legal 500 US
- “[T]he ‘highly competent and skilled’ group at Butler Snow LLP has outstanding trial expertise and is entrusted by high-profile clients…” The Legal 500 US commentary (2019).
- Ranked for nationwide Product Liability, Mass Tort and Class Action: Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices – Defense (2021).
- “It’s an exceptional law firm,” says a source. “There’s a good base of talented lawyers, an excellent reputation and the ability to practice across the country.” Chambers USA commentary (2021)
- “Clients highlight the firm’s ‘very, very good trial lawyers,’ and note that they are ‘very collaborative with other firms.’” Chambers USA commentary (2019).
- “The Butler Snow firm is very, very skilled at both trying jury trials, and dealing with extensive and complex discovery and legal issues.” Chambers USA commentary (2018).
- Ranked for nationwide Product Liability & Mass Torts (2021).