Taxation of Businesses
Strategic vision enabled by astute tax counsel
Clients bring their most complex business tax challenges to Butler Snow’s tax attorneys because our tenacious solution-focused orientation, coupled with our collaborative approach to legal matters, obtains results. Members of Butler Snow’s Tax Group help business clients with a full range of tax issues, from tax-free reorganizations to purchase and sale transactions.
We counsel our clients on a wide array of tax matters; and we strive to be strategic partners to our clients, including rendering tax advice in connection with the organization of business entities and the structuring of business transactions to achieve desired tax objectives. Some examples include advising clients regarding the tax consequences of:
- Major business transactions, such as mergers, acquisitions, sales, equity purchases and corporate recapitalizations
- Tax-free reorganizations
- Timely reporting of transactions on income tax returns to minimize exposure to penalties
- Distributions to equity owners
- Structuring various transactions to minimize income tax consequences, such as executive compensation packages and other day-to-day business activities
- Resolving disputes involving audits of returns filed with the IRS or state taxing authorities
Butler Snow’s tax expertise encompasses all aspects of federal, state and local taxation, offering our clients complete solutions to their tax matters. Our clients know that when an issue arises, even if it is only indirectly related to taxes, we have the in-house specialized knowledge to provide a full-picture solution—and all our attorneys are fully engaged and accessible. We tailor our approach to each client’s individual situation and develop a pragmatic legal strategy that is aligned with the issues surrounding each case.
Providing practical, actionable counsel
In today’s environment, businesses can expect significant scrutiny regarding all types of transactions and their related tax consequences. As a result, astute counsel and advance planning are increasingly important. We provide practical counsel that answers your questions in a straightforward manner so you can move forward with confidence.