Strategic vision enabled by astute tax counsel
Clients bring their most complex business tax challenges to Butler Snow’s tax attorneys because our tenacious solution-focused orientation, coupled with our collaborative approach to legal matters, obtains results. Members of Butler Snow’s Tax Group help business clients with a full range of tax issues, from tax-free reorganizations to purchase and sale transactions.
We counsel our clients on a wide array of tax matters; and we strive to be strategic partners to our clients, including rendering tax advice in connection with the organization of business entities and the structuring of business transactions to achieve desired tax objectives. Some examples include advising clients regarding the tax consequences of:
- Major business transactions, such as mergers, acquisitions, sales, equity purchases and corporate recapitalizations
- Tax-free reorganizations
- Timely reporting of transactions on income tax returns to minimize exposure to penalties
- Distributions to equity owners
- Structuring various transactions to minimize income tax consequences, such as executive compensation packages and other day-to-day business activities
- Resolving disputes involving audits of returns filed with the IRS or state taxing authorities
Butler Snow’s tax expertise encompasses all aspects of federal, state and local taxation, offering our clients complete solutions to their tax matters. Our clients know that when an issue arises, even if it is only indirectly related to taxes, we have the in-house specialized knowledge to provide a full-picture solution—and all our attorneys are fully engaged and accessible. We tailor our approach to each client’s individual situation and develop a pragmatic legal strategy that is aligned with the issues surrounding each case.
Providing practical, actionable counsel
In today’s environment, businesses can expect significant scrutiny regarding all types of transactions and their related tax consequences. As a result, astute counsel and advance planning are increasingly important. We provide practical counsel that answers your questions in a straightforward manner so you can move forward with confidence.
Butler Snow’s tax attorneys have:
- Represented numerous companies on U.S. and international transactional tax matters, including cross-border sales and acquisitions, intellectual property structuring, and tax-efficient U.S. inbound and outbound business and investments.
- Represented business founders, investors and management on a range of U.S. tax issues, including compensation matters, in private equity buyout and rollover transactions.
- Provided counsel to U.S. and non-U.S. businesses on structuring their investments from a U.S. perspective.
- Represented real estate investment trusts in connection with a variety of secured debt financings, including those involving vehicles such as REMICs.
- Counseled clients on minimizing current tax impacts and facilitating the raising of additional capital when structuring complex transactions.
- Counseled clients on foreign tax credit and treaty planning.
- Represented medical practices with the admission and withdrawal of shareholders, partners and members, S corporation elections, fringe benefits and retirement planning.
- Advised financial institutions regarding U.S. federal tax compliance, including FATCA and the IRS Voluntary Tax Disclosure programs.
- Served as counsel to mass transit agencies in the exercising of early buy-out options and voluntary early terminations of tax-advantaged leases.
- Represented corporations in structuring acquisitive and divisive tax-free reorganizations.
- Represented corporations, partnerships, LLCs and S corporations in tax challenges from federal, state and local authorities.
- Represented corporations in planning for franchise, excise, sales and use, and business taxes.