James H. (Jay) Bolin
Jay is a member of Butler Snow’s litigation department and practices within the Products, Catastrophic and Industrial Litigation Group. He focuses his practice on product liability litigation, toxic tort litigation, environmental litigation, catastrophic events and major claims, incident response and evidence preservation, OSHA and general litigation defense.
Biography – View PDF Bio
- Bar Admissions
- Education & Honors
- In the News
- Papers, Presentations, & Publications
- Recent Blogs
- Mississippi, 1996
- U.S. District Courts
- Mississippi: Northern, Southern
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- 5th Circuit
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants, 2017-2021
- Benchmark Litigation
- Member of the team selected as nationwide Product Liability Firm of the Year, 2018
- Certified Contract Advisor, National Football League Players Association (NFLPA)
- University of Mississippi, J.D., 1996
- Executive Committee, Moot Court Board
- Outstanding Student, Income Taxation of Corporations and Shareholders
- University of Mississippi, M.A., Accountancy, 1991
- University of Mississippi, B.A., Accountancy, cum laude, 1990
- Experience serving on national coordinating counsel teams in mass tort litigation, developing and coordinating defense across country with trial experience in Mississippi and Texas involving claims of exposure to asbestos containing products.
- Handles a variety of product liability disputes for manufacturers and distributors in federal and state courts, including commercial and industrial equipment, recreational vehicles and power tools.
- Member of litigation team for oil and gas industry client in multi-jurisdiction litigation in state and federal courts involving catastrophic personal injury, wrongful death, and commercial damages.
- Handles incident response including evidence collection and preservation issues.
- Handles OSHA compliance issues, investigations and violations.
- Handles chemical exposure cases including benzene and products regulated by the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act ("FIFRA").
- Handles defense of claims brought against companies who process, store, transport and dispose of hazardous and non-hazardous material.
- Jay is also a member of the Butler Snow’s Entertainment and Media Industry Group. He is certified as a Contract Advisor with the NFLPA and CFLPA and is a Registered Athlete-Agent in several states. In addition to representing professional athletes in negotiations with professional sports teams, Jay also advises professional athletes and prospective professional athletes and their families on issues regarding agent representation, athlete-agent representation agreements, marketing agreements, etc. as well as compliance with relevant Athlete-Agent Acts in various states.
- King v. Terex Corporation, et al. (S.D. Miss.) trial court granted dismissal of multiple defendants due to lack of personal jurisdiction in an industrial machinery case alleging personal injury. More...
- Pounds v. Rogersol, Inc., et al. (S.D. Miss.) trial court granted Daubert Motion in a toxic tort benzene case, and motion for summary judgment.
- In re Profiler Products Liability Litigation, 2008 WL 1774909, S.D. Ill., April 16, 2008 (NO. MDL. 06‑1748-GPM).
- Duffin v. Honeywell Intern., Inc., 312 F.Supp.2d 869, N.D. Miss., April 05, 2004 (NO. CIV.A. 403CV389).
- Atlanta Cas. Co. v. Powell, 83 F.Supp.2d 749, N.D. Miss., June 17, 1999 (NO. 1:97CV189-B-D).
- 198 Butler Snow Attorneys Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2021
- 173 Butler Snow Attorneys Named in Best Lawyers® 2020, 19 Named “Lawyer of the Year”
- Butler Snow Ranked No. 2 in Lex Machina’s ‘Top Law Firm Report’
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers Sign Channing Ward to Opening Day Roster
- Butler Snow Attorney Earns NFLPA Contract Advisor Certification
- Co-Author, "LAW ELEVATED — Long-Term Care Facilities: OSHA monitors employer weekly reports to CMS," Mississippi Business Journal, January 26, 2021.
- Co-Author, "LAW ELEVATED — EMPLOYERS BEWARE: OSHA ‘Coronavirus-related’ inspections, citations on the rise in late 2020," Mississippi Business Journal, October 14, 2020.
- "A Review of Recent Literature on the ‘Association/Causal Link’ Between Benzene and Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma," ABA Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Committee Newsletter, Winter 2012.
- "Lawson - Making Distinctions without a Difference or Creating More Differences?" The MDLA Quarterly, Spring 2012.
- OSHA Issues Guidance on Strategies to Mitigate and Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 in the Workplace
- Long-Term Care Facilities: OSHA Monitors Employer Weekly Reports to CMS
- EMPLOYERS BEWARE: OSHA “Coronavirus-Related” Inspections, Citations on the Rise in Late 2020
- Further Guidance: My Employee (May) Have COVID-19. What Do I Record for OSHA?
- UPDATE: My Employee (May) Have COVID-19. What Do I Record for OSHA?
- My Employee (May) Have COVID-19. What Do I Record for OSHA?
- Genomics and Genetics – Helping to Remove Inferences and Possible Litigation Bias