Cara R. Baer
- Co-Chair, Diversity Committee
Cara works with some of the world’s largest corporations, facilitating business and commercial transactions and joint ventures and strategic collaborations.
Biography – View PDF Bio
- Bar Admissions
- Education & Honors
- In the News
- Papers, Presentations, & Publications
- Tennessee, 2004
- U.S. District Courts
- Tennessee: Western
- U.S. Patent Bar, 2003
- University of Memphis, J.D., 2004
- University of Maryland, M.A., Mathematics, 2001
- Vanderbilt University, B.S., Mathematics, magna cum laude, 1999
- Negotiation and drafting of multi-billion dollar worldwide collaboration between two major pharmaceutical companies for co-development and co-promotion of multiple pharmaceutical products.
- Negotiation and drafting of agreements among pharmaceutical and medical device companies for development, manufacturing and supply of products.
- Registration of trademarks and prosecution of utility patents and design patents in United States as well as in over 40 foreign countries through extensive network of foreign associates.
- Representation to help clients, including multi-national companies, work through patent, trademark and copyright infringement matters including litigation.
- Representation of clients before Trademark Trial and Appeal Board in opposition and cancellation proceedings in United States.
- Representation of both acquirers and sellers in local, national and international corporate acquisitions where assets to be acquired or valuation of companies to be acquired involve selling company’s intellectual property.
- Assisting clients in licensing or acquisition of intellectual property rights.
- Drafting and implementing a new suite of sales templates and standard terms and conditions for a large ophthalmic medical device company including training the sales operations team on the new templates, acceptable fallback provisions, and who has authority to approve deviations from non-legal terms.
- Author, “Uncertainty in Biopharmaceutical Industry Presents Challenges for Manufacturers,” Inside the Minds: Navigating Legal Issues in the Biotechnology Industry 25 (Aspatore Books ed., 2015).
- Moderator, "Trademarks and Sports Logos," From Music, Film and Television Arts to Sports: Hot Issues and Disputes in Entertainment, Mississippi Bar Intellectual Property Section, May 18, 2012.
- Co-Author, "Unfair Trade Practice Claims under State Law" Intellectual Property Litigation, Vol. 22, Number 2, Winter 2011.
- Co-Author, "Pursuing Phantom Counterfeiters: Serving Process via Email" Law360/Pointe Innovation, September 14, 2010.
- Presenter, "Corporate and Patent Considerations for the Technology Start-Up Company," Tennessee Intellectual Property Law Association Bi-Annual Meeting, July 2010.
- Author, "Shutting Down Phantom Counterfeiters," IP Law360, April 2009.
- Co-Author, "Protecting Trade Secrets in Patent Litigation," Intellectual Property Litigation, American Bar Association, Spring 2009.
- Author, "How to Enforce IP Rights in China," Intellectual Property Litigation, Volume 19, Number 4, American Bar Association, Summer 2008.
- Presenter, "Recent Developments in Trademark and Copyright Law," Tennessee Intellectual Property Law Association Semi-Annual Conference, May, 2008. More...
- Presenter, "Starting an Innovation-Driven Technology Company," Kentucky Science and Technology Corporation, April 2008.
- Co-Author, "Patents and the Obvious: Can Your Idea Pass the Test?" Pointe Innovation Magazine.
- Presenter, "Indian Patent Law . . . Business as Usual, Mostly," Tennessee Intellectual Property Law Association, November 2006.