Nils B. (Burt) Snell
Burt has represented clients in MDL and state court litigation involving medical devices and in several mass torts involving pharmaceuticals.
Biography – View PDF Bio
- Bar Admissions
- Education & Honors
- In the News
- Papers, Presentations, & Publications
- Pennsylvania, 2002
- U.S. District Courts
- Pennsylvania: Eastern
- Rutgers University, J.D., high honors, 2002
- Dean’s Scholar (Highest GPA Evening Section),
- Executive Board Member, Rutgers Law Journal
- Eastern College, B.A., with distinction, 1998
- National Honors Society
- Represents Ethicon, Inc. and Johnson & Johnson in MDL and state court litigation involving medical devices. He has developed experts, taken and defended expert witness depositions and prepared expert witnesses for trial. He is trial counsel in certain state court cases. He has also prepared and defended the depositions of several company witnesses including Apex witnesses.
- Recently, he was lead trial counsel in a nursing home case situated in Pennsylvania state court which was favorably settled for the client before trial. He has also served as lead counsel for Merck & Co., Inc. in pharmaceutical litigation situated in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas where he obtained dismissal of the action on motion practice and before discovery.
- Has represented clients in several mass torts involving pharmaceuticals, as well as individual cases involving pharmaceuticals and medical devices. He has been a key member of trial teams for GlaxoSmithKline in the Baycol® litigation and for Wyeth in the Fen-Phen litigation. In these litigations he was responsible for developing and preparing expert witnesses for trial, taking discovery and trial depositions of fact and medical witnesses, and defending depositions of company sales representatives.
- Served on numerous trial teams defending Merck & Co., Inc. in the New Jersey Vioxx® litigation. The most recent was Hermans v. Merck, which involved the first sudden cardiac death case to go to trial in the New Jersey Vioxx litigation. He took the trial depositions of the coroner and other fact witnesses and defended the deposition of the defense expert toxicologist. The jury ultimately rejected plaintiff’s personal injury claims.
- A member of the trial team for AstraZeneca which secured a defense verdict in the first trial of more than 20,000 claims involving the prescription drug Seroquel®. The verdict was described by the press as a "huge win" for AstraZeneca, particularly the jury's finding that AstraZeneca's warnings were adequate. He played an instrumental role in this finding by eliciting favorable warning and damages trial testimony from the two key physicians who prescribed the medication and diagnosed the claimed injury.
- Served as a member on national expert teams and has extensive experience developing and preparing expert witnesses for trial. He also has extensive experience taking discovery and trial depositions of fact and medical witnesses and preparing defense witnesses. He has played a key role in the coordination of complex, national affirmative discovery efforts on behalf of clients such as GlaxoSmithKline, Wyeth, Merck, Pfizer and AstraZeneca.
- Counseled and handled individual product liability matters involving medical devices, chemicals, herbicides, foods, and asbestos for clients such as West Pharmaceutical and Kraft Foods. He also has experience in commercial and intellectual property litigation, ADA/NJLAD litigation, and environmental litigation.
- Handled commercial and antitrust class actions. Most recently, he played a key role in defending York International Corporation against a nationwide class action and was second chair at the class certification hearing. In that case, he took the deposition of one of the class representatives and numerous third party witnesses, managed discovery, and briefed and argued motions. He also defended the depositions of several company executives and prepared the defense expert for the class certification hearing.
- Received several awards for pro bono service. He has represented pro bono clients in civil rights cases, landlord/tenant disputes, and other matters in state and federal court. More...
- First chair trial experience and has conducted mock trials for clients.
- Presenter, “How to Select and Prepare Expert Witnesses,” CLE Lecture, Philadelphia, Pa., March 15, 2011.
- Presenter, “Mass Torts in Pennsylvania: Procedures, Practice and 2006/07 Case Law Update,” Tort Law Update CLE "Down the Shore", Atlantic City, N.J., August 16, 2007.
- Presenter, “Regulatory Issues Concerning Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Recalls,” Recall Readiness Seminar at the Annual Drug and Medical Device Litigation Conference, New York, N.Y., February 28, 2005.