Sarah Smyth O'Brien
Sarah is a member of Butler Snow’s litigation department and practices within the Tort, Transportation, & Specialized Litigation Group.
Biography – View PDF Bio
- Bar Admissions
- Civic Involvement
- Education & Honors
- In the News
- Papers, Presentations, & Publications
- Colorado, 2002
- U.S. District Courts
- Colorado: District of Colorado
- Volunteer work for Encompass Hospice of Colorado
- AV®– Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- University of Denver, Sturm College of Law, J.D., Order of St. Ives, 2002
- Preventive Law Journal
- University of Wyoming, B.S., Political Science, 1997
- Clerkship, Honorable Justice Gregory Hobbs, Jr., Colorado Supreme Court, Denver, CO, 2002-2003
- Ms. O’Brien has represented clients in state and federal court in a broad range of complex civil litigation matters, including construction litigation, commercial litigation, insurance bad faith, and premises liability cases. Ms. O’Brien has experience in all phases of complex litigation, including trial and arbitration.
- Representative Experience
- Obtained a defense verdict for contractor in a construction defect arbitration involving claimed damages of over $10 million.
- Assisted team with successful appeal to the Colorado Supreme Court of key damage issues in product liability matter.
- Defended insurers in complex bad faith cases, in which extensive monetary damages were claimed, in federal and state court.
- Obtained summary judgment for clients in federal and state court.
- Speaker, “Your Guide to Legal Matters,” Business Leaders Podcast, May 25, 2019.
- Co Author, “Surge in Apartment Construction Fuels Condo Conversions, Liability Concerns in Denver,” Law Week Colorado, Vol. 15, No. 43, October 22, 2018.
- Author, “Choose Your Forum,” Construction Claims, CLM, Fall 2016