Raquel is a member of our Pharmaceutical, Device and Healthcare Litigation Group.
Biography – View PDF Bio
- New York, 2016
- Spain, 2011
- University of Chicago Law School, LL.M., 2015
- Instituto de Empresa Law School, LL.M., 2013
- C.U.N.E.F. (Universidad Complutense de Madrid), LL.B., B.A, Law and Business Administration, 2011
- Pharmaceutical, Device and Healthcare Litigation Experience
- Raquel is experienced in serving as science counsel and furnishing trial teams with scientific and medical defense strategies. She has experience cross-examining plaintiffs, treating physicians, and expert witnesses in complex litigation and mass tort product liability litigation. She is also skilled at effectively identifying and interpreting scientific literature and formulating strategies for Daubert motions.
- Significant Cases
- Physiomesh Litigation– national science counsel to Ethicon/Johnson & Johnson in multi-district litigation alleging claims of design defect and failure to warn from the implant of Physiomesh during ventral hernia repair surgery. Responsible for the production of Rule 26 Reports from nationally recognized hernia surgeons for the defense of the litigation, deposed plaintiffs, plaintiff hernia surgeon Rule 26 expert witnesses, and prepared Daubert challenges to the admissibility of plaintiff expert opinions.
- Stevens-Johnson Syndrome/TEN Litigation– science counsel for Johnson & Johnson defending claims that Tylenol and Motrin caused SJS/TEN in pediatric plaintiff. Responsible for the production of Rule 26 Reports from dermatologist, pediatric infectious disease physician, epidemiologist, and clinical pharmacologist. Formulated strategies for the cross examination of plaintiff burn surgeon, toxicologist, and pharmacologist expert witnesses on issues of SJS/TEN epidemiology, general and specific causation, and the lymphocyte toxicity assay.
- Propecia Litigation– national science counsel to Merck in multi-district litigation alleging male sexual dysfunction and cognitive complaints from Propecia (finasteride 1 mg) use for male pattern hair loss. Responsible for the production of Rule 26 Reports from experts in epidemiology, endocrinology, psychiatry, dermatology, and basic science. Formulated strategies for the cross-examination of plaintiff expert witnesses in male sexual medicine, epidemiology and biochemistry, and prepared Daubert motions to exclude plaintiff expert opinions on general and specific causation in first four MDL bellwether cases.