W. McDonald (Mac) Plosser
Mac is a member of Butler Snow’s Pharmaceutical, Device and Healthcare Litigation Group and focuses his practice on representing pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers in both complex litigation and individual cases pending in state and federal courts. He has been recognized by Super Lawyers® and Best Lawyers in America®.
Biography – View PDF Bio
- About Mac
- Bar Admissions
- Civic Involvement
- Education & Honors
- In the News
- Papers, Presentations, & Publications
Mac is involved in multiple aspects of complex pharmaceutical and medical device product liability litigation. He has worked in a significant role defending Merck & Co., Inc. against lawsuits involving Propecia® and Proscar®, assisting in the development of overall defense strategy, as well as all aspects of company and case-specific discovery, expert witness discovery, and motion practice. Mac also served on case workup and motions teams in mass torts regarding Pradaxa® and AndroGel®.
In addition to his work for pharmaceutical and medical device clients, Mac has experience representing clients in medical malpractice cases, working with clients, expert witnesses, and trial teams to develop and execute effective defense strategies to obtain favorable resolution in cases involving medical professionals and their practices.
Mac frequently writes on litigation-related topics. In December 2018, he authored “Sky’s the Limit? A 50-State Survey of Damage Caps and the Collateral Source Rule,” for Butler Snow’s Pro Te: Solutio. In October 2018, he co-authored “What Does Your Dismissal Without Prejudice Mean? – A 50 State Survey of Savings Statutes,” for Pro Te: Solutio and republished on the Drug & Device Law Blog.
Mac obtained his J.D. from University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law and B.A. in History from Rhodes College. He is admitted to practice in Tennessee.
- Tennessee, 2014
- U.S. District Courts
- Tennessee: Western
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- 2nd Circuit
- Service Over Self, Board of Directors
- Second Presbyterian Church, Officer
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Ones to Watch, Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Defendants, 2021-2023
- Super Lawyers®
- Mid-South Rising Star, General Litigation, 2019-2021
- University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, J.D., 2014
- Senior Notes Editor, University of Memphis Law Review, Vol. 44
- CALI Award: Civil Procedure I
- Champion, Freshman Moot Court Competition
- Runner-Up, Freshman Moot Court Best Overall Oral Advocate
- Federal Bar Association Student Representative
- Rhodes College, B.A., History (English Minor), 2010
- Parliamentarian, Rhodes Student Government, 2008–2010
- In re: Propecia (Finasteride) Prods. Liab. Litig., Coordinated Proceedings:
- U.S. Dist. Ct. for the E.D.N.Y. (12-MD-2331)
- Super. Ct. of N.J. Law Division: Middlesex County (Case No. 623)
- In re: Pradaxa (Dabigatran Etexilate) Prods. Liab. Litig., Coordinated Proceedings:
- Super. Ct., Jud. Dist. of Hartford, CT (Complex Litigation Docket)
- Super. Ct. of Cal., County of San Francisco (J.C.C.P. No. 4863)
- In re: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Prods. Liab. Litig., Coordinated Proceedings:
- U.S. Dist. Ct. for the N.D. Ill. (MDL No. 1545)
- Cir. Ct. of Cook County, IL (2014 L 003814)
- Nance Marquis v. Albert L. Bean, M.D. (CT-000083-13); assisted trial team in obtaining defense verdict on behalf of emergency medicine physician in health care liability action, Circuit Court of Shelby County, TN, 2015.
- Inez Smith v. Stern Ownership Grp., et al. (CT-004486-15); summary judgment in favor of cardiology practice in healthcare liability action, Circuit Court of Shelby County, TN, 2017.
- 248 Butler Snow Attorneys Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023
- 63 Butler Snow Attorneys Listed in 2021 Mid-South Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars
- 237 Butler Snow Attorneys Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022
- 86 Butler Snow Attorneys Listed in 2020 Mid-South Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars
- 198 Butler Snow Attorneys Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2021
- 93 Butler Snow Attorneys Listed in 2019 Mid-South Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- William McDonald Plosser Joins Butler Snow in Memphis
- Author, “Sky’s the Limit? A 50-State Survey of Damage Caps and the Collateral Source Rule,” Pro Te: Solutio, Vol. 11 No. 3, December 2018.
- Co-Author, “What Does Your Dismissal Without Prejudice Mean? – A 50 State Survey of Savings Statutes,” Guest Post – Drug & Device Law Blog, October 18, 2018.
- Co-Author, “What Does Your Dismissal Without Prejudice Mean? A 50-State Survey of Savings Statutes,” Pro Te: Solutio, Vol. 11 No. 2, September 2018.
- Author, “Into the Fracking Fray: Taking a Balanced Approach to Regulating Hydraulic Fracturing in Tennessee,” 44 U. Mem. L. Rev. 667 (2014).