Gary C. Rikard
Gary is a member of Butler Snow’s business department and practices within the Regulatory and Government group. Gary’s experience as an engineer and attorney in both the public and private sectors provides him with a unique perspective when advising clients on a myriad of complex environmental issues.
Biography – View PDF Bio
- Mississippi, 1995
- Tennessee, 2010
- U.S. District Courts
- Mississippi: Northern, Southern
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- 5th Circuit
- District of Columbia Circuit
- Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, Joint Force Headquarters, Mississippi Army National Guard
- Environmental Engineer, Air and Water Divisions, Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality
- Senior Attorney, Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality
- Executive Director, Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality, 2014-2020
- Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Environment
- University of Mississippi, J.D., 1994
- Special Projects Editor, Mississippi Law Journal
- Moot Court Board
- Christian Brothers University, B.S., Civil Engineering, cum laude, 1991
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
- Significant experience in the negotiation of complex environmental enforcement cases on both the state and federal levels.
- Over five years’ experience as Executive Director of the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality, including negotiation and settlement of the Deepwater Horizon natural resource damages case. Also served as the designated state Trustee under the Oil Pollution Act and named as the Governor’s representative for the RESTORE Council.
- Substantial experience involving environmental permitting issues.