R. Wilson Montjoy II
Wilson Montjoy is the absolute best.
John Charles Griffin, Senior Counsel
Southern Natural Gas Company
Southern Natural Gas Company
Biography – View PDF Bio
- Mississippi, 1978
- U.S. District Courts
- Mississippi: Northern, Southern
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- AV-Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Mid-South Super Lawyers®, Project Development, 2012-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Energy Law; Mediation; Natural Resources Law; Oil and Gas Law
- Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Energy & Natural Resources (Mississippi) , 2016
- Fellow, American Bar Endowment
- Who's Who in the World
- Who's Who in American Law
- Governor-Elect Phil Bryant, Policy Transition Team, Energy Committee
- University of Mississippi, J.D., 1978
- Articles Editor, Mississippi Law Journal
- University of Mississippi, B.A., with distinction, 1975
- Advised clients in development work for over $16 billion in projects.
- Served as lead counsel in numerous large industrial and energy projects, handling or coordinating site selection, incentive, real estate, environmental, finance, regulatory and other project development activities.
- Currently serves as lead outside counsel in the development of a $1.4 billion tire manufacturing facility which will create 2,500 new jobs.
- Negotiated numerous economic development incentive agreements with the State and dozens of counties and cities, including over 50 fee-in-lieu tax agreements, reserved for projects $100 million or larger.
- Represented an automotive company with regard to a state and local economic development incentive package for a $2 billion facility, including the negotiation of inducement agreements and working with the state in drafting special legislation for the project.
- Served as lead Mississippi counsel for a number of pipeline projects ranging in size from $100 million to over $1 billion and totaling over 700 miles, with services including right-of-way acquisition, eminent domain actions, permitting, tax incentives, bond financing and environmental, real estate, regulatory and other commercial issues.
- Represented a number of independent power producers in connection with site selection, project development and on-going operations for over 15 facilities ranging in size from $250 to over $500 million, and in proceedings before the Public Service Commission.
- Negotiated incentive packages for natural gas processing and underground storage facilities ranging from $100 to $300 million.
- Represented the Mississippi Development Authority in connection with the negotiation and implementation of a $293 million incentive package for a steel mill. More...
- Advised a biochemical company in the development of a $250 million facility.
- Represented both counties and local economic development agencies in large economic development projects.
- Currently representing clients in the development of several alternative energy projects.
- Advised a number of clients in the sale or financing of large energy facilities.
- Recognized by Chambers USA as "extremely good at understanding overall business objectives and providing wise and tailored advice."