Shannon E. Hoffert
Shannon advises clients on HIPAA privacy and security issues, development of HIPAA compliance programs, and responding to privacy-related investigations and audits. She is also experienced in compliance with federal and state physician self-referral Stark Law, self-disclosure and reporting regulations, anti-kickback matters, fee-splitting issues, healthcare licensure, and certificate of need.
Biography – View PDF Bio
- Bar Admissions
- Education & Honors
- In the News
- Papers, Presentations, & Publications
- Tennessee, 2009
- University of Memphis, J.D., magna cum laude, 2009
- Editor-in-Chief, The University of Memphis Law Review
- University of Memphis, B.S., with honors, 2005
- Advising on HIPAA privacy issues, strategy and development of HIPAA compliance programs to hospitals, physician groups, and pharmaceutical companies.
- Member of federal monitor team for academic medical center’s compliance with HIPAA settlement resolution with the Office of Civil Rights.
- Advises clients on an international basis regarding data privacy and security matters.
- Oversight of corporate compliance effectiveness assessments for hospital systems and physician practice groups.
- Development and implementation of corporate compliance programs.
- Representation of hospitals, academic medical centers, assisted living facilities, single- and multispecialty physician practices, and ambulatory surgery centers.
- Advise on compliance with fraud and abuse, federal and state physician self-referral laws, self-disclosure and reporting requirements, fee-splitting issues, certificate of need, licensure, provider enrollment, reimbursement and corporate practice of medicine issues.
- Presenter, “Healthcare Law 101 – Crash Course: Laws, Stakeholders and Big Issues,” Memphis Bar Association, Health Law Section, September 2019.
- Author, “Cybersecurity Must Be A Top Priority,” Memphis Medical News, August 2017.
- Author, “Go MACRA or Go Home,” Memphis Medical News InCharge Healthcare, 2017.
- Co-Presenter, HIPAA Updates, Tennessee Bar Association Health Forum, October 2016.
- Co-Presenter, Research Training Conference, Baptist Memorial Healthcare Corporation, September 2016.
- Presenter, HIPAA, Tennessee Bar Association Health Law Primer, October 2015.
- Co-Author, “Contracting with Healthcare Software Vendors,” Memphis Medical News, January 2015.
- Co-Presenter, HIPAA Privacy and Security, Tennessee Bar Association Health Law Primer, October 2014.
- Presenter, What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You, Tennessee Bar Association Litigation Bench Bar Conference, May 2014. More...
- Author, "Highlights from the New HIPAA Omnibus Rule," Pro Te: Solutio, Vol. 6 No. 2, 3-7 (May 2013).
- Co-Author, "Risky Business? Assessing Risks with A Risk Assessment Checklist" Medical Device Compliance Solutions (Spring 2012).
- Author, "HIPAA Gets a Facelift," Pro Te: Solutio, Vol. 4 No. 2, 18-20 (May 2011).
- Co-Author, "Fighting the Counterfeit Drug Industry," Pro Te: Solutio, Vol. 3 No. 2, 6-11 (May 2010).
- Author, "Case Law: 50-State Survey Exceptions to Bar Admissions for In-House Counsel," Pro Te: Solutio, Vol. 3 No. 1, 13-15 (January 2010).
- Contributor, "Case Law: What States Have Statutory Limitations on Damage in Personal Injury or Wrongful Death Actions?" Pro Te: Solutio, Vol. 1 No. 3, 17-18 (July 2008).
- Author, "Legal Malpractice – Chapman v. Bearfield: Redefining the Legal Standard of Care for Tennessee Attorneys," The University of Memphis Law Review, 38 U. Mem. L. Rev. 537.