Scott B. Shanker
Scott has extensive experience representing hospitals and health systems, single- and multi-specialty physician practices, ambulatory surgery centers and ancillary service providers.
Biography – View PDF Bio
- Bar Admissions
- Education & Honors
- In the News
- Papers, Presentations, & Publications
- Missouri, 2001
- Kansas, 2002
- Tennessee, 2005
- Washington, 2013
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Healthcare Law, 2008-2019
- Super Lawyers®
- Mid-South Rising Stars, 2010-2016
- St. Louis University, J.D., 2001
- St. Louis University, Certificate of Health Care Law, 2001
- University of Kansas, B.A., Human Biology, 1998
- Extensive representation of hospitals and health systems, single- and multi-specialty physician practices, ambulatory surgery centers and ancillary service providers.
- Counsel to healthcare clients regarding business operations and regulatory matters, including structuring professional service and employment agreements.
- Represent buyers and sellers in healthcare transactions and joint ventures.
- Advise on compliance with fraud and abuse, physician self-referral (Stark Act), self-disclosure and reporting, fee-splitting issues, certificate of need, licensure, enrollment, reimbursement and corporate practice of medicine issues.
- Draft and negotiate supply purchase agreements and hardware and software license and procurement contracts.
- Experience working with the Office of Civil Rights in Breach notifications and settlements.
- Regularly drafts Business Associate Agreements and HIPAA Authorizations, and advises clients regarding HIPAA privacy matters.
- 147 Butler Snow Attorneys Named in Best Lawyers®, 18 Named “Lawyer of the Year”
- About 5% of home healthcare agencies show potential signs of fraud - Modern Healthcare
- Butler Snow Among ABA's Top 10 Regional Health Law Firms
- 102 Butler Snow Attorneys List in 2015 Mid-South Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 117 Butler Snow Attorneys Listed in 2013 Mid-South Super Lawyers®
- Bar Launches Health Care Law Section
- I Choose Memphis: Scott Shanker
- Presenter, “From the Boardroom to the Big House? How Corporate Compliance and Government Regulations Keep You Safe,” Memphis Bar Association, Health Law Section, July 2016.
- Co-Author, “CMS Proposes New Rule that Attempts to Align Certain Practical Realities with Stark Law Compliance,” Memphis Medical News, August 2015.