Margaret Z. Smith
As a member of the Product Liability, Toxic Tort and Environmental Litigation Group, Margaret focuses her practice on drug and device litigation, general litigation and product liability litigation.
Biography – View PDF Bio
- Bar Admissions
- Education & Honors
- In the News
- Papers, Presentations, & Publications
- Recent Blogs
- Mississippi, 2012
- Board of Directors, New State Theater
- Mississippi College, J.D., summa cum laude, 2012
- University of Mississippi, B.S., Business Administration, 2007
- Chancellor’s Honor Roll
- Dean’s Honor Roll
- University of Mississippi Alumni Scholarship
- President, Order of Omega
- Executive Vice President, National Society of Collegiate Scholars
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- Alpha Lambda Delta
- George Waltman v. Engineering Plus, Inc., Circuit Court of Lauderdale County, Mississippi (summary judgment granted and then affirmed by the Mississippi Supreme Court).
- Brady v. Prentiss County School District, et al., Circuit Court of Prentiss County, Mississippi (trial defense verdict).
- National representation of highway product manufacturer in product liability and personal injury claims.
- National representation of pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturer in national mass tort litigation related to pelvic mesh.
- Russell v. FCA US LLC, United States District Court Southern District of Mississippi, Northern Division (putative class action dismissed on early motion).
- Amy Adams and Charles Adams v. Energizer Holdings, Inc., et al., United States District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi, Jackson Division (product liability claim dismissed on early motion).
- Young v. City of Richland, Mississippi, United States District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi, Jackson Division (civil rights violation claim dismissed on early motion).
- Browning v. Beau Rivage Resorts, Inc., et al., Circuit Court of Harrison County, Mississippi (summary judgment for defense).
- Vann v. City of Southaven, Mississippi, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (amicus brief in support of appellants, which led to the Fifth Circuit panel granting a motion for rehearing, withdrawing a prior unfavorable opinion, and substituting for a new opinion).
- Author, “When in Doubt, Assert a Rule 403,” Practice Pointer, Jackson Young Lawyers May 2018 Newsletter, May 2018.
- Co-Author, “Does Spoliation Spoil a Product Liability Claim? Analyzing and Defending Product Liability Claims of the Product-less Claimant,” IADC, Product Liability Committee Newsletter, December 2017.
- Co-Author, “Guilty By Association? Keeping Premises Owners Safe from Liability for Criminal Acts of Third Parties: Assignment of Fault to the Real Culprit,” The MDLA Quarterly, Vol. 41, Number 1, Spring 2017.
- Co-Author, “Is It Time To Erase Chalkboard Damages?” DRI, Strictly Speaking, The Newsletter of the Product Liability Committee, Volume 13, Issue 4, December 2, 2016.
- Co-Author, “Guilty By Association? Keeping Premises Owners Safe from Liability for Criminal Acts of Third Parties,” The MDLA Quarterly, Vol. 40, Number 4, Winter 2016.
- Co-Author, “The Phantom of the Chalkboard – The Collateral Source Rule and ‘Billed’ versus ‘Paid’ Medical Bills,” The MDLA Quarterly, Vol. 38, Number 3, Fall 2014.
- Co-Author, "An Overview of the Legal Standard Regarding Product Liability Design Defect Claims and a Fifty State Survey on the Applicable Law in Each Jurisdiction," IADC Product Liability Committee Newsletter, September 2014.
- Co-Author, "Survey of Design Defect Requirements," Pro Te: Solutio, Vol. 7 No. 2, 15-23, June 2014.