Joseph F. Welborn III
Joe is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, and his work has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America® and Mid-South Super Lawyers®.
Biography – View PDF Bio
- Tennessee, 1991
- U.S. District Courts
- Tennessee: Western, Middle, Eastern
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- 6th Circuit
- The National Law Journal, Top 100 Verdicts of 2016 ($22.2 million jury verdict for client)
- Lifetime Achievement Selection, America’s Top 100 Attorneys®, 2016
- Best Lawyers in America®,
- Bet-the-Company Litigation, 2010-2019
- Commercial Litigation, 2010-2019
- Super Lawyers®
- Top 50: Nashville Super Lawyers, 2015-2017
- Top 100: Tennessee Super Lawyers, 2016-2017
- Mid-South Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2011-2018
- Best of the Bar, Nashville Business Journal, 2017
- Fellow, Nashville Bar Foundation
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- "Top 101 Lawyers in Nashville", Nashville Post, 2011
- U.S. Army Reserve, Judge Advocate General Corps, Retired Captain
- University of Tennessee, J.D., 1991
- Editor, Tennessee Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Rhodes College, B.A., Political Science, cum laude, 1988
- Over twenty-six years of trial experience in business and commercial litigation, including shareholder, corporate merger and acquisition, banking, contractual, real estate, intellectual property, and business tort disputes.
- Represented the nation’s largest private corrections company in civil rights cases involving personal injury, medical malpractice, and wrongful death claims.
- Experienced in representing individuals and businesses in catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death cases, including cases involving automobile crashes, tractor trailer collisions, automobile manufacturer liability, products liability, fire and burn injuries and death, and building design and maintenance defects.
- Recovered $60+ million for individual clients in cases ranging from business disputes, breach of contract, and fraud to catastrophic personal injury, wrongful death, and civil rights violations.
- Litigated 50+ disputes involving restrictive covenants in employment and business contracts (non-compete agreements, non-solicit agreements, restrictions on use of trade secrets and confidential information) including in the areas of medical sales, commercial insurance, financial advisors and brokers, and banking.
- Represented numerous clients in trust and estate planning disputes, including cases to set aside wills, trusts, and contracts on the basis of undue influence and lack of mental capacity.
- Butler Snow Ranked No. 2 in Lex Machina’s ‘Top Law Firm Report’
- 106 Butler Snow Attorneys Listed in 2017 Mid-South Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 147 Butler Snow Attorneys Named in Best Lawyers®, 18 Named “Lawyer of the Year”
- Announcing our 2017 Best of the Bar winners, Part 4 - Nashville Business Journal
- Snodgrass–King Wins $22.2 Million Verdict Against DentaQuest USA
- 102 Butler Snow Attorneys List in 2015 Mid-South Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Butler Snow Announces Second Major Nashville Expansion