OverviewTim is an international tax attorney and focuses his practice on international emerging technology & crypto companies, venture capital, tax structuring for founders & investors, and US outbound & inbound international tax issues (e.g., PFIC, CFC, ECI, GILTI, FDAP, QSBS, portfolio interest exemption, and US tax nexus (also known as US trade or business)). He is experienced with working in the Asia-Pacific's budding technology and fund sectors, which has been a key focus of US technology investment, fundraising, and M&A activity.
- Prior to joining Butler Snow, Tim was a tax attorney based in the Silicon Valley where he advised on a wide array of cross-border transactions, and domestic and international tax issues.
- Tim's representative experience (prior to joining Butler Snow) includes advising: Coinbase in its acquisition of Bison Trails; Cisco in various acquisitions (including its $3.7 billion acquisition of AppDynamics and its $2.35 billion acquisition of Duo Security) Stripe in its acquisition of Paystack; Glu Mobile, a global developer and publisher of mobile games, in its $2.4 billion acquisition by Electronic Arts; Sema4, a patient-centered genomic and clinical data intelligence company, in its $2 billion SPAC business combination with CM Life Sciences; and Day One Biopharmaceuticals, a clinical-state biotech company, in its $130 million Series B Financing.
- University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, J.D., 2017
- Order of the Coif
- Fenwick Tax Award for the highest tax grades of the graduating class
- American Jurisprudence Awards for International and Corporate Tax
- Co-Vice President, Christians at BerkeleyLaw
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A., Legal Studies, 2012