J. Mark Tipps
- Of Counsel
Mark has over 25 years' experience in litigation and has been recognized as an AV-rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell® and in Best Lawyers in America®.
Biography – View PDF Bio
- Tennessee, 1985
- U.S. District Courts
- Tennessee: Eastern, Middle, Western
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- 6th Circuit
- Tennessee Supreme Court
- AV®- Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, 1999-2017
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Commercial Litigation, 2012-2021
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Litigation: General Commercial – Tennessee, 2014-2015
- "Best Lawyers in Tennessee", The Tennessean
- "Best of the Bar", Nashville Business Journal
- "40 Under 40", Nashville Business Journal
- "100 Most Powerful People in Middle Tennessee", Nashville Business Journal
- Leadership Nashville, 2002
- State Litigation Star, Tennessee, Benchmark Litigation, 2015
- University of Tennessee, J.D., magna cum laude, 1985
- Editor, Tennessee Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Gustavus Adolphus College, B.A., cum laude, 1982
- Rule 31 Listed General Civil Mediator, Tennessee Supreme Court
- Chief of Staff to U.S. Senator Bill Frist (TN) 1995-1996. Served as Senator Frist's chief advisor for two years and managed a staff of approximately 45.
- Deputy Chief Counsel to U.S. Senator Fred Thompson (TN) in 1997 during the Senate's special investigation of foreign fundraising in the 1996 Presidential election. Investigation included 33 days of televised hearings and more than 70 witnesses.
- Trial lawyer since 1985. Has tried cases in a wide variety of areas, including but not limited to: breach of contract, failed mergers/acquisitions, minority shareholder appraisals, certificates of need, product liability claims, environmental property damage, non-compete agreements, municipal annexation, copyright infringement and personal injury.
- Representative matters:
- Counsel to publicly traded investment bank and others in putative class action securities case brought by preferred shareholders. Johnson v. Goldman Sachs Group Inc., et al. (W.D. Tenn.).
- Counsel to publicly traded payment card company in breach of contract action related to data security intrusion. Genesco v. Visa U.S.A. Inc., et al. (M.D. Tenn.).
- Counsel to publicly traded athletic shoe retailer in highly publicized failed $1B merger case involving material adverse change clause. Plaintiff sought specific performance to require consummation of merger. Genesco v. The Finish Line Inc., et al. (Ch. Ct. Davidson Co., Tenn.).
- Counsel to NHL hockey team in breach of contract action related to naming rights agreement for Nashville Arena. Nashville Hockey Club Limited Partnership v. Gaylord Entertainment Co. (Ch. Ct. Davidson Co., Tenn.).
- Conducted several internal investigations, including but not limited to: More...
- Special investigation for publicly traded food company concerning alleged accounting irregularities;
- Special committee internal investigation of publicly traded national bank in response to shareholder derivative demand; and
- Internal investigation for private tech company concerning alleged irregularities with foreign vendors.