Luther T. Munford
Luther is a member of the firm’s Appellate and Written Advocacy Group and concentrates his practice on appellate matters, media law, constitutional law, professional liability and product liability defense.
Biography – View PDF Bio
- Mississippi, 1976
- U.S. District Courts
- Mississippi: Northern, Southern
- U.S. Court Of Appeals
- 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- AV-Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Litigation: Appellate (Mississippi), 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Appellate Practice (2007-2017); Bet-the-Company Litigation (2010-2017); Commercial Litigation (2007-2017); First Amendment Law (1995-2017); Litigation - First Amendment (2011-2017); Litigation - Intellectual Property (2011-2017); Litigation and Controversy - Tax (2011-2017); Media Law (2011-2017)
- The Best Lawyers in America® Lawyer of the Year, Appellate Practice
- Mid-South Super Lawyers®, Appellate , 2006-2015
- Advisory Committee on Appellate Rules to the Judicial Conference of the United States, 1992-1998
- Lawyers' Advisory Committee, U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit, 1990-2002
- Chair, Alumni Council of Princeton University, 1995-1997
- Associate Professor, Mississippi College School of Law, 1986-1989
- University of Virginia, J.D., 1976
- Editorial Board, University of Virginia Law Review
- Oxford University, B.A., Political Science and Economics, first class, 1973
- Princeton University, A.B., 1971
Honorable Paul H. Roney, U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
Honorable Harry A. Blackmun, U.S. Supreme Court
- Epperson v. Southbank, 93 So.3d 10 (Miss. 2012) (reversed Court of Appeals on certiorari and upheld client’s ability to restrict certificate of deposit withdrawals).
- Pascagoula School District v. Tucker, 91 So.3d 598 (Miss. 2012) (reversed chancellor and upheld client’s state constitutional right to certain ad valorem tax revenues).
- McDonald v. Raycom TV Broadcasting, Inc., 665 F.Sup. 2d 688 (S.D. Miss. 2009) (summary judgment granted to television client in defamation action).
- Poliner v. Texas Health Systems, 537 F.3d 475 (5th Cir. 2008) (amicus brief for hospitals; hospital immunity under HCQIA enforced).
- Travelers Cas. & Sur. Co. v. Ernst & Young, LLP, 542 F.3d 475 (5th Cir. 2008) (represented plaintiff in accountant malpractice suit: $14 million judgment affirmed).
- Baker Donelson Bearman & Caldwell, P.C. v. Muirhead, 920 So. 2d 440 (Miss. 2006), (reversed million dollar judgment and held client lawyer’s handling of bad faith suit was not malpractice).
- Tanks v. Lockheed Martin Co., 417 F.3d 456 (5th Cir. 2005) (reversed district court and enforced workers’ compensation immunity in plant shooting suit against client).
- Titan Insurance Co. v. Hood, 895 So. 2d 138 (Miss. 2004), (enforced forum selection clause and reversed $75 million judgment against client).
- Lipscomb v. Columbus Municipal Separate School District, 277 F.3d 1375 (5th Cir. 2001) (court upheld Contracts Clause protection for 19th century school lands leases held by clients). More...
- Dimmitt Chevrolet, Inc. v. Southeastern Fidelity Ins. Corp., 636So.2d 700, 705 (Fla. 1993), (successful amicus brief for London insurers on construction of "pollution exclusion" construction of "pollution exclusion" clause).
- Eimann v. Soldier of Fortune, 880 F.2d 830 (5th Cir. 1989), (amicus brief for American Newspaper Publishers’ Ass’n in support of successful appeal challenging negligence award against magazine publisher).
- Department of Banking and Consumer Finance v. Clarke, 809 F.2d 266 (5th Cir. 1987), cert. denied 107 S. Ct. 3240 (1987), (interpreted federal branch banking law in favor of client).
- Affholder v. Southern Rock, Inc., 746 F.2d 305 (5th Cir. 1984), (state appeal penalty inapplicable in federal court), followed in Burlington Northern Railroad Co. v. Woods, 400 U.S. 1, 107 S.Ct. 967 (1987) (Affholder "persuasive").
- Blake v. Gannett Co., 529 So.2d 595 (Miss. 1988), (summary judgment for client in newspaper libel case).
- 102 Butler Snow Attorneys List in 2015 Mid-South Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 129 Butler Snow Attorneys Named in Best Lawyers, 16 Named "Lawyer of the Year"
- Chambers USA Ranks 40 Butler Snow Attorneys as Leaders
- Butler Snow Attorney Places Shakespeare on Trial With Original Play
- 117 Butler Snow Attorneys Listed in 2013 Mid-South Super Lawyers®
- 10 Butler Snow Attorneys Named Lawyers of the Year By Best Lawyers in America® 2014, 107 Attorneys in Overall Best Lawyers in America® List
- Lawyer Who Wrote The Book on Miss. Appellate Law Returns to Butler Snow
- Experienced Litigator Luther Munford Joins Butler Snow
- Co-Author, "Classification When "Equivalence" Means "Safety," Pro Te: Solutio, Vol. 8 No. 2, Summer 2015
- Co-author, "The Door to Open Government in Mississippi," Tapping Officials’ Secrets (Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, 2015).
- Co-author, "Survey of Mississippi Privacy and Related Claims Against the Media" 50-State Survey: Media Privacy and Related Law 2014-2015 (Media Law Resource Center).
- Mississippi Appellate Practice (MLI Press 2010).
- "The Peacemaker Test: Application and Comparison," 80 Miss. L. J. 639 (2010).
- "The Peacemaker Test: Designing Legal Rights to Reduce Legal Warfare," 12 Harv. Neg. L. Rev. 377(2007), selected for the 2008 Green Bag Almanac.