Brad F. Westerfield
Brad is in our London office, where he focuses his practice on Private Client and Wealth Management, Estate and Trust Planning, and International Tax and Trust Planning. He is a frequent presenter on US tax issues.
Biography – View PDF Bio
- New York, 2007
- Connecticut, 2007
- Mississippi, 2006
- New York University, LL.M., Taxation, 2006
- Mississippi College, J.D., cum laude, 2005
- University of Mississippi, M.Tax., 2000
- University of Mississippi, B.Accy., 1999
- Assist ultra high net worth families and their advisors with respect to US federal income, estate and gift tax issues, with a particular emphasis on integrated US/UK estate planning and pre-US/UK tax immigration planning.
- Assist fiduciaries of trusts with US person beneficiaries.
- Assist individuals with the relinquishment of US citizenship or lawful permanent residency (green card) status, and attendant US tax consequences.
- Assist non-US individuals and businesses in structuring their US investments and US individuals and businesses in structuring their non-US investments.
- Assist individuals, financial institutions and trust companies regarding US federal tax compliance, including FATCA and the IRS Voluntary Tax Disclosure programs.
- Assist individuals with respect to the US federal tax implications of divorce.
- Quoted, "Wealthy Asians dash to ditch US Passports," Asian Investor, December 2014
- Co-Author, “ACA Finance Panel,” the American Magazine, December 2014.
- Presenter, “Catching Up If You Are Out of Compliance,” American Citizens Abroad Town Hall Meeting, London, December 2014.
- Presenter, “Efficient US/UK Estate and Trust Planning,” IBC Private Client Series Conference, London, November 2014.
- Presenter, “US/UK Estate Planning and Joint Property Issues,” US Expatriate Tax Year-End Conference, London, October 2014.
- Quoted, "3,000 Americans ditch their passports," CNN Money, 17 February 2014.
- Presenter, "US Taxation of Non-US Trusts," US Expatriate Year-End Planning Conference, London, October 2013.
- Co-Author, "Landmark US Supreme Court Decision May Extend US Tax Benefits to UK Civil Partners," Planning Notes International, Vol. 2013, June 28, 2013.
- Presenter, "US Tax Issues in Divorce," London, March 2013. More...
- Presenter, "US Tax Update and Introduction to Passive Foreign Investment Companies (PFICs)," London, February 2013.
- Co-Author, "Crossing the Divide: US Tax-saving Opportunities for UK-based Americans," Northwest Resident Magazine, February 2013.
- Co-Presenter, "US Citizens Abroad: Tax and Legislative Updates in an Ever-evolving World," London, October 2012.
- Co-Author, "Transatlantic Thinking – Flexible Solutions for Those Facing a Planning Conundrum," April 2012.
- Presenter, "US Taxation of Trusts (for UK Practitioners)," London, March 2012.
- Co-Presenter, "US/UK Tax Issues for Americans Residing in the UK," London, 2012.
- Co-Presenter, "Integrated US/UK Estate Planning," London, 2012 and 2011.
- Co-Presenter, "The US HIRE Act – Catching Overseas Structures to Ensure Internal Compliance," STEP Conference Isle of Man, November 2010.
- Co-Author, "Uncompensated Use of Trust Property Taxable to United States Persons," Briefing Note, May 2010.
- Co-Author, "Death of the US Death Tax? Not all Roses for Families with UK Connections," The Offshore & International Taxation Review, Vol. 14, Iss. 3, 2010.